Some recent work in maintaining the official Perl image for Docker lead me into pulling in different copies and tags of
buildpack-deps more than once, in different machines; as a result, I used a lot of network bandwidth for image pulling. Aside from this, I also run several VMs via libvirt/KVM, via Docker Machine to start up VMs for Docker Swarm and Minikube.
I wanted to save my bandwidth usage, and it turns out there is a way to do this by building on some Docker features...
It has been a while since I last posted, let alone update my infra a bit, so here's one quick entry to document it.
For the longest time I haven't enabled SSL on my blog or other HTTP sites; I used to use Comodo, then StartCom SSL. However, I got wind that StartCom (along with WoSign) will soon be distrusted by Google Chrome, et al. after some reviews of their operation. The good thing though, is that there's now a Let's Encrypt initiative which provides free SSL certificates, so I figure it is high time for me to re-integrate SSL once more.
Wow, she is 26 today. Back in the day, she was just a humble replacement for
sed, then became great in the late 90's to 2000's as the CGI programming language. Now, with the advent of web applications programming, she's doing it better with a lot of frameworks held together by better glue. And let's not forget the objects and events.
Looking forward to another great year building great stuff with Perl!