A bit overdue post, but I attended this months's Perl 6 Community Bug Squashathon last weekend and it was fun! I had a great time learning some more Perl 6 while making contributions at the same time. Definitely looking forward to next month's!
Here are a few little bits of Things I've Learned...
Some recent work in maintaining the official Perl image for Docker lead me into pulling in different copies and tags of
buildpack-deps more than once, in different machines; as a result, I used a lot of network bandwidth for image pulling. Aside from this, I also run several VMs via libvirt/KVM, via Docker Machine to start up VMs for Docker Swarm and Minikube.
I wanted to save my bandwidth usage, and it turns out there is a way to do this by building on some Docker features...
Another quick one for the blog. I was moving around some apps from subdomains to my main domain to take advantage of the new SSL-enabled web, and I needed some schooling about nginx once more to get things right. Here's one bit about locations and nesting.
I've been using Slackware Linux since around 2010-2011, moving from Debian mainly because I got tired of the package churn and following the internal politics of DDs. Initially I tried it as a way of getting a close to BSD experience on Linux, since I was already using OpenBSD at the time (more on that on a later post.) Turns out that having a prior BSD experience helps a lot, especially as Slackware is as "upstream" as upstream gets (very minimal, if any, distro-specific changes, as a matter of policy.)
Since it was Slackware's birthday just sometime ago, let me share some tips and tricks I've learned over the years.
It has been a while since I last posted, let alone update my infra a bit, so here's one quick entry to document it.
For the longest time I haven't enabled SSL on my blog or other HTTP sites; I used to use Comodo, then StartCom SSL. However, I got wind that StartCom (along with WoSign) will soon be distrusted by Google Chrome, et al. after some reviews of their operation. The good thing though, is that there's now a Let's Encrypt initiative which provides free SSL certificates, so I figure it is high time for me to re-integrate SSL once more.
Hello again! Testing posting using weblogger.el
Following up with my previous post, let me show an example of setting up a container with sshd running by default, under daemontools supervision:
Wow, she is 26 today. Back in the day, she was just a humble replacement for
sed, then became great in the late 90's to 2000's as the CGI programming language. Now, with the advent of web applications programming, she's doing it better with a lot of frameworks held together by better glue. And let's not forget the objects and events.
Looking forward to another great year building great stuff with Perl!
I've been running docker for quite a while now, as I found it fun to use, and rather easy to deploy even on a Slackware system. It is even better to use it with daemontools, both to supervise the docker process as well as to be an alternative to
init inside containers. Here are some notes regarding this kind of usage:
So, I found myself installing Movable Type on my site to start posting once more. I set it up using the PSGI deployment notes from the GitHub docs, though there are a few things I missed that I should put down: